On December 2, the City and County of Denver issued detailed guidelines for the new odor ordinance that impacts most marijuana businesses in Denver. There is a critical deadline quickly approaching, so we urge you and your team to start planning ahead. Here’s what we recommend:
1. Read the regulations here. At only 19 pages, these are relatively digestible regulations. While it’s important to meet the immediate deadline at hand, be sure to take note of some of the ongoing requirements. This is not a one and done deal. For example, if your odor control system malfunctions, this must be reported.
2. Read this one page summary of the ordinance here. This is a great way to make sure you’ve absorbed the most critical items from the actual regulations.
3. If you’ve reviewed the new regs and have concerns or questions, consider registering for a one-on-one meeting with Denver Environmental Health (DEH) to ask questions and review your plan. This is also a great way to have a positive interaction with one of your regulatory agencies that demonstrates that your company is proactive and serious about compliance! We expect that these time slots will fill up quickly, so be sure to register well in advance.
4. Start working on your Odor Control Plan (OCP). The exact requirements for the OCP differ based on license type so make sure you’re working on the applicable list. The templates can be found in Appendix A and Appendix B of the regulations.
The OCP is due Wednesday February 8, 2017. Don’t miss this deadline!!!
5. Take note of the recordkeeping requirements in Section 6 of the regulations. These regulations require that “Facilities must maintain, and provide to the Department upon request, all records relating to Odor control, including but not limited to, system installation, maintenance, deviations from OCPs, any Malfunctions, and records of complaints and response actions thereto.” Complia’s comprehensive document management system is the perfect way to manage these required records electronically. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like a demo!
Yours in Compliance,
Below is a link to the Odor Workshop Slides